9/24/09

25. Life lesssons can be learned from watching sports

Fair does not always mean equal.

It is normal for roommates to help eachother out. There was one time when the attachment on my email didn't send and Trey emailed it to me. There was another time when Kyle left the burner on in the kitchen and I kindly turned if off for him (don't worry, he got a strike). There have been a few times that I have picked up hotpockets for Trey at the grocery store.

Recently I had a huge knot in my shoulder that I couldn't reach and was really bothering me so I made Kyle work it out for me. (Yes, I sometimes miss girl roommates- but the guys are adapting fairly well!)

Mallory: Thank you so much, Kyle! Next time I'll help you!
Kyle: No problem, but you don't have to worry about it.
Mallory: Really, its only fair
Kyle: Fair does not always mean equal
Mallory: Yea it does... what do you mean?
Kyle: Think about sports

(Is that even related?)

Mallory: What?
Kyle: On a sports team the best player usually gets more field time. That isn't equal, but its fair.

I am still not 100% sure if this works in our situation. All I know if that I got my knot out of my shoulder and I don't owe anything. It is interesting that sports is suddenly applied to everyday life. But, okay.

The concept that "fair is not always equal" is probably a positive way for boys to look at life. It justifies having to pick girls up for dates, holding doors open, offering to pay for food, giving up seats on the bus, etc.

The obvious conclusion then arises: Females must clearly be the superior sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment