4/14/10

47. Better friends don't lie

I don't like birds. Don't get me wrong, I love animals and I like birds (outside). My parents have a finch feeder (outside) where there are about six finches that eat there at any give time (outside).

Kyle is birdsitting his girlfriends bird for eight weeks (which is forever in bird years).

Trey and I have fought about this bird thing for the last three days straight. He wanted to make sure that I had a legitimate reason for not liking it (I did). He wanted me to get over my fear (I do't care to). Now he just fights me about it because it gives us something new to talk about. I have learned from the fights "blah blah blah, yes I do support KYLE and thats all that matters".

Which leads me to the conversation today.
Trey: You and Loki (his dog) should be happy about the bird- now girls out number boys in the house!
Me: But Loki and I don't care! We don't like the bird
Trey: You are acting like highschool cheerleaders...
Me: EVERYONE else agrees with me that I've told
Trey: Oh yea? Who?
Me: ALL the girls at dinner last night completely agreed (I left out the fact that I basically complained to every girlfriend who would listen- and they ALL agreed)
Trey: Well of course they will, they are your friends and want to agree with you
Me: So then you aren't my friend?
Trey: No, I am just a better friend. I don't lie to you.

Interesting. Maybe girls have been raised to lie to their friends while boys are raised to challenge their friends. Girls say things such as "You don't look fat in that", "I completely agree", "You are right- he is a jerk", "You look so skinny in that", "No, your butt isn't big", "Don't worry- I didn't do that either". Boys challenge eachother "You can't do that", "Did you really do that", "Do you know who sang that/played that/did that?", "Shes not even that cute".

I would like to think that my BEST friends don't lie to me, but how many times have I been "getting over a guy" and suddenly all my girlfriends start telling me that they didn't like him anyways, or he wasn't that cute, or I could do better. What is funny is that during the SAME relationships my close guy friends will say straight out that they don't like him.

Does that make guys better friends? I wouldn't go that far. But I guess if you want the absolute truth you might want to seek out the advice of your guy friends.

Oh yea. It is a strange day when you find your self longing for our old pet rat. Hey, at least it lived in the garage!

No comments:

Post a Comment