4/14/10

48. Always ask the second question

Boys really live by that don't ask don't tell policy. (As you probably know by now, I NEVER live by a don't ask don't tell policy and the guys hear more than they ever really cared to hear.) The trick is knowing when to ask the second question and what the second question should be.

This brings me to the day that Kyle went roller skating. He was in a speed racing contest.

Mallory: How was skating?
Kyle: Good! I was in a speed racing contest. I got 4th!
Mallory: Thats awesome Kyle!

A few days later I find out there were only 6 people competing. (In Kyle's defense it sounds like one of the guys is one of those creepy people who goes to the rink alone everyday to practice)

Trey participates in every intramural sport offered on campus. (or so it seems). Trey came into the house really frustrated and you could tell he was actually feeling pretty down.
Mallory: Trey, is everything okay?
Trey: Yea... We just lost our basketball game. We are kicked out of the tournament now.
Mallory: At least you still have volleyball...
Trey: I just really wanted a championship basketball shirt. It is just that basketball is really competitive. We are in "D" league.
Mallory: Oh yea? Letters does it go through?
Trey: (pause, pause, pause) well..... "D".

This makes me think. How many other stories have I heard and had a completely different perception based on not asking the right questions? Did it really take me ten months to finally get the hang of this? Will girls ever REALLY get the hang of it?

So lesson learned. If you want the real story you have to ask the questions. The only way to know what questions to ask? well, only time can tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment