10/22/09

32. Friends are family. Really.

Girls are old fashioned. They lock the doors when they leave the house. They call their friends to invite them over. The host straightens up the house before they arrive. Friends say goodbye and leave before bedtime. (unless it is a predetermined "girls sleepover" of course)

Boys take the quote "my house is your house" to a whole new level. The guys seldom lock our doors.. which is a good thing since at any given moment an unexpected friend might arrive. It doesn't matter if we are home or not. On more than one occasion I have come home to see some of the guys' friends laying on the couch watching TV. (I told you we had a nice TV!)

Honestly I have to say I love this though. I love that everyone feels at home here and I really like having people at our house. There is someone to talk to at any given moment right?

Yesterday was the perfect example. I came home from a meeting around 10:30pm. Neither of the guys' cars were in the driveway and all the lights in the house were off. I went into the house telling a very animated story on the phone. I had been in the kitchen for several minutes when I realized there was someone sleeping on the couch (the plaid one).

Mallory: Brian?
Brian: Yea....
Mallory: What are you doing?
Brian: Well, I fell asleep around 4.
Mallory: On the couch? (clearly) Oh. Where are Kyle and Trey?
Brian: They had songfest practice... and then, I don't know.
Mallory: Oh okay. Sorry to wake you.

Sorry to wake you? Sorry that I didn't know there was someone sleeping on the couch in the kitchen for over six hours. (How COULD I have known that!?) .... Granted I then had someone willing to watch E! News, Chelsey Lately, and Girls Next Door with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment