1/11/10

38. Boys are like Mr. Gadget

Not like the go-go-gadget guy whose arm reach out on command and has a helicopter come out from his hat. Their messages do not self destruct. (although I do tend to wonder where things can disappear to in the house). Probably a better title would be "Boys are handy men", but lets face it, that just doesn't sound as cool.

I am constantly amazed by what Trey and Kyle seem to be able to fix. A few months ago Trey installed a ceiling fan in his room simply because it didn't work well enough. I wouldn't even know how to start a project like that. Kyle just informed me that he rebuilt his computer harddrive. Or installed it himself? or something. To be honest, I don't even KNOW what he did because my eyes glazed over when he said "internal, computer, install".

The plug in my bathroom has been making strange noises. I first heard these noises one night when I was home alone. I of course came to the instant conclusion that a spark was going to ignite the entire bathroom and burn the house down. I seriously contemplated the idea of taking the dog and sleeping on the couch. (that we would have more of a chance to make it out of the house alive.) I wasn't being dramatic (okay, maybe alittle), I just genuinely didn't know what to do with the plug.

Trey took one look at it, played with it a bit, called his dad, and simply informed me that he will have to install a new outlet. Wait, really? I was instantly amazed (which I tried to contain because Trey always gets frustrated and says "I shouldn't be so surprised- I should have more faith in him".) I was then nervous that he wouldn't know what to do and would electrocute himself. (Which wouldn't be TOO bad since I could keep his dog...)

Trey: Mallory, it is like a computer program.
Mallory: Oh?
Trey: Once you know how, you can just do it.
Trey: I have instructions from my dad.

That's interesting. I am not sure if I have ever installed a computer program that was just like another. My father and I have spent countless hours trying to make wireless internet work over the phone.

The only conclusion I can come to? I think there is just a switch in boys that make "fixing things" easy. Maybe they are just simply programmed differently.


No comments:

Post a Comment