11/11/09

34. "Safety" is a relative term

Girls and guys define safety very differently. Girls view safety as preparing (or worrying) about ALL the things that could possibly happen. Guys have a more practical approach of preparing for things that have actually have a good chance of happening.

One night I was studying in the computer lab on campus with Kyle. I was working on a paper and finally finished around 1am. Kyle was not quite done (probably because he fell asleep for a solid 40 minutes- which is impressive in a computer lab). Trey was online and the two of us were chatting while I waited.

Trey: So when are you guys coming home?
Mallory: Whenever Kyle is ready.. maybe 30 minutes or so?
Trey: Why are you waiting on Kyle?
Mallory: I don't really like to walk to my car by myself at night.
Trey: You are just sitting there at 1am until he leaves?
Mallory: I dont like walking to the car by myself at night! Hey- and will you look at my paper if you have time?
Trey: I'll only look at your paper if you leave now...

Thankfully I got the best of both worlds because Kyle was ready to leave. I had someone to walk me to my car (and make fun of me the whole time for NEEDING to be walked to may car), and I had someone to read my paper when I got home.

Trey: Kyle walked you to your car?
Mallory: Yea... (thanks Kyle for ratting me out!). But what's the big deal of him walking me to my car?
Trey: I was trying to prove a point.
Mallory: Something bad could have happened!
Trey: The only thing I have ever seen in that parking lot is a night patrol cop.

Well, why exactly do you think we have to HAVE night patrol cops? Because bad things happen!

The difference is that when I think about that parking lot (along with many girls) we picture the opportunity that lies with a parking lot. We see that big unmarked van that could be next to our car. The guy that is laying under our car with a knife. Or his buddy in the back seat. The guys? They see a well light parking lot with a patrol officer and emergency safety lights on a school campus right next to the building. Hm.

No comments:

Post a Comment